While I was going through my old hard drive, I ran across a folder with just some of my old T-shirt designs. I love some of these, even 5 years later, like the alphabet one, the “R” made out of shapes and the orange and black one where the long white lines make up an “L” and an “I”. Hopefully I can find some more of that stuff to share, it’s got to be on one of these hard drives around here somewhere!
Back in 2005, I was working for a little start up called eWord. This is way before the iPhone and the iPad, and we had an idea. We wanted to create a touch screen device that would house books, articles and magazines, surf the web, send emails, write papers, well you name it. I was in charge of creating the interface for it, the GUI. Recently I ran across the crude version I mocked up in flash on how it would look and here it is. Mind you, this is before there was an iPad and Apple went and made it all beautiful.
My amazing sister Tati hand drew the outlines and then painted in this Dr. Seuss themed room. We then added an awesome hand made quilt from Grandma Judy and some flannel Seuss sheets from Pottery Barn kids and it was complete. So far what we’ve got is the Cat in the Hat, Horton, the Lorax, Thing 1 and Thing 2, the Red fish, the Grinch and Max and the kingdom from Oh, the places you’ll go. Jackson loves it and so does every adult and kid that comes over to the house and sees it.
Jackson has a lot of puppets and he really likes them. So, I’d been wanting to him a puppet theatre for a while, but I couldn’t find any that weren’t really small or made of cardboard. So while in the garage one afternoon, I saw an old IKEA DVD rack just laying around and got to thinking… this thing is perfect. After some scouring around the house, I had gathered some black paint, colored chalk, hot glue, a spare piece of thin plywood and a rough idea of what it should look like. The next day I went to the craft store and got a half yard of red velvet fabric and was on my way back home to assemble it. I ended up only needing 5 out if the 21 dowels for support (I kept the rest around for new projects), I hot glued the dowels in and sewed the curtains loosely to the dowels. After painting the plywood black, I hot glued it onto the rack and clamped it down until it dried. Grabbed some colored chalk, drew a quick little title for the days “show” and we were done. It was about $5 to make and the kids really enjoy seeing the puppets from a proper stage. Plus, they really like being able to come up with plot lines and writing them on the billboard. Successful repurposing.